Light bulb terrarium

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hi everyone!

It's been a little while - I went to the Melbourne Juggling Convention where we did lots of club passing and help put up a geodesic dome

In terms of crafting I've been working on this little light bulb terrarium which I came across first here

I like how it turned out, and am tempted to try some miniature crochet to make something else to sit in there with the little tillandsia
If you haven't been there before, craftgawker is a great website for inspiration - and has a nice range of terrarium photos

We also visited the National Rhododendron Gardens in the Dandenongs - well worth a visit if you're in Melbourne. Not everything was in full bloom yet, and I'm thinking it could be nice to return in a month or so to see the cherry tree grove flowering ^_^

National Rhododendron Gardens (47)

National Rhododendron Gardens by Steel Wool

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I love what you've done with the lightbulb. I wanted to try the same thing but the problem is, I cant seem to pry out the metal side of the bulb. Everytime I try to pry it out, I feel like the bulb might break in my hands Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shapewear
    I used all the steps of this tute: http://thehipsterho.me/2010/01/how-to-make-a-tiny-terrarium-in-a-light-bulb/ which was great as it showed how to peel off the first metal bit and then snap the inside glass parts without breaking the outer globe. There shouldn't be any metal you need to touch except that first little outer disc. Everything else that you snap is glass.

    It might be that you have an impossible kind of globe. I did try one which completely failed because it had a plastic grey insert inside the metal base. It was impossible to get rid of that insert and I ended up breaking the globe. If you can find a globe that looks like the one in the tutorial it should make it a lot easier. Good idea to wear gloves so if the globe does break it doesn't matter :)

    Let me know if you're still having trouble and I'll try to help :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed this tutorial to make some as well. They came out so cute! I used some mose, etc. I had a hard time finding the little airplans. Where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amy
    would love to see a pic of yours too!
    I found mine at Queen Vic Market, but initially I just searched for 'tillandsia' and 'melbourne' to find people who stocked them. I was lucky enough to get them near by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey My friend has been making really adorable terrarium accessories and she finally made an etsy store, Ive bought a tonne from her cuz I just cant get enough of making terrariums! check it out:

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/80755086/candy-land-terrarium-figures

    ReplyDelete

-